Sit-or-Start Meter for Starting Goalies
As part of our updated Starting Goalies page, we are introducing the Sit-or-Start Meter for each starting goalie. The Sit-or-Start Meter is a visual representation of how strong we expect this goalie’s statistics to be for this particular game against this particular opponent. A high value on the Sit-or-Start Meter (70+) indicates an expected strong outing (low GAA, high SV%, good chance of a Win). The higher the number, the better the expected start.
A few quick points:
1. This meter is completely unrelated to a goalie’s confirmation status. At Left Wing Lock, we think Schrödinger’s Cat should stay in the realm of quantum physics. Goalies here are either confirmed or they are not. There is no such thing as a 79% confirmation.
2. This meter was not built to predict winners of games. A goalie can have a strong performance (GAA, SV%) and still lose the game.
3. This meter does use recent statistics of the goalie in question as well as offensive output data of the opposing team.
4. This meter does get smarter as the season progresses.
5. This meter replaces what some of you might remember as the GSI (Goalie Start Index) tool from last season.
Important note: for full viewing pleasure of the Sit-or-Start meter, you need to be using a modern web browser. Safari, Chrome, IE9+, and Firefox are all capable. Users of IE8 and below will not be able to see the Sit-or-Start meter.