Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Montreal Canadians are the most glorious sports franchise on the Planet

Hybrid View

The Montreal Canadians are the most glorious sports franchise on the Planet

Can ANYONE dispute that their history, Stanley Cups , traditions are unmatched by any professional sports franchise on earth?

I scoff at the Toronto Maple Leafs and have a gut busting laugh at the cupless ones from vancouver. I pity the Flames one lonely mug. I salute the Oil's and islanders single dynasty each .

Other sports-- who cares? They all shink in the face of the gloriousness of hockey and the Montreal Canadians.
    Phoenix One league commissioner
    Phoenix Elite (starting 2014-2015) Organizer

both LWL LEAGUE G A +/- PIM PPP SHP HIT Block FOW SOG W GAA SV% SHO SVs

Untouchables .. Flubbers Thugs - Quick Miller Subban S. Weber Seabrook Dillon Giordano Wideman C- Plekanac Turris Stasny Bonino. LW- E kane Kesler J. Staal Vermette RW- Simmonds Johansen Neale neil ( Henrique , Killorn)

Phoenix .. Holtby Anderson Harding ( Talbot McElhinney) Crosby Duchene Hanzal Ribeiro Johansson Koivu Silfverberg B Schenn Pavelski Lucic Simmonds neil Subban McDonagh Hjaalmarsson Orpick Lovejoy Hamhuis

Brawlers G,A,+, PIM PPP Blocks SOG HIT, W SV, GAA SV% SHO
    Keep 12. Anderson Backstrom Miller Weber Subban Byfuglien Chara Orpick Hjalmarsson Vlasic ( Grossman, Lovejoy) Turris koivu Hanzal Hodgson Johansen ( Cogliano ) Ott Landeskog Vermette Lucic Marcarthur Callahan Simmonds Marchand Doan Dupuis Neil

Hitmen G A +/- PIM PPP SHP HITS, W, GS SV% GAA SHO
    Keep 5 Lehtonen Schneider Holtby (Harding IR ) Couture Getzlaf Bonino Fisher Ott Pavelski Brassard ( Z smith) Callahan Gallagher Simmonds Ward Neal Nugent-Hopkins Saad OEL Gudas Giordano Hjalmarsson Franson Carle Zidlicky Girardi

The Habs have also produced some of the most famous hockey players of all time. That franchise was responsible for the invention of the goalie mask and the slapshot. They had the first player to score 50 goals in 50 games. They had the first player to reach 500 goals. They have the most passionate and knowledgeable fans on the planet!

The only team worse than the Leafs for championship futility (or longevity of failure) is the Chicago Cubs (but baseball is a joke anyway).
    Twitter: @Rocketman_33

LWL FHL Keeper - The Untouchables - Keep 5
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FOW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO

Finished 3rd - Unknown Keepers

LWL FHL Non-Keeper - Phoenix 2
    Current Record

Finished 2nd

LWL FHL Dynasty H2H Pts League- Dy-Nasty - Keep 17
    Finished 9th

Prospects - E. Kuznetsov, G. Reinhart, A. Vasilevsky, J. Drouin, J. Morin

ESPN 12 Team H2H Pts League- Keep 5
    - Reg Season Record 22-0 - Finished 2nd

Keepers - J. Toews (C), G. Landeskog (LW), C. Giroux (C, RW), E. Karlsson (D), A. Niemi (G)

They only had six teams in league in their glory years. They had choice of players. No parity back then. IMO.

Explain their dynasty in the 70's then? Montreal won 10 out of their 24 Cups after league expansion. They were far more than 6 teams after 1967. When there were six teams, I agree with you.
    Twitter: @Rocketman_33

LWL FHL Keeper - The Untouchables - Keep 5

Finished 3rd - Unknown Keepers

LWL FHL Non-Keeper - Phoenix 2
    Current Record

Finished 2nd

LWL FHL Dynasty H2H Pts League- Dy-Nasty - Keep 17
    Finished 9th

Prospects - E. Kuznetsov, G. Reinhart, A. Vasilevsky, J. Drouin, J. Morin

ESPN 12 Team H2H Pts League- Keep 5
    - Reg Season Record 22-0 - Finished 2nd

Keepers - J. Toews (C), G. Landeskog (LW), C. Giroux (C, RW), E. Karlsson (D), A. Niemi (G)

The 70's were a long time ago. I know . I'm a Flyers fan. Other teams caught up after expansion. I don't think there will be another three peat. Cap and free agency caused parity. Can't give Habs the title. There were other dynasties since the Habs won their consecutive cups. The Flyers played all the dynasties for cup. I remember them well.

I saw 'most glorious sports franchise' and thought this was a thread about the Philadelphia Flyers.

I guess I'll be the first one to mention the Yankees then. And I HATE the Yankees.

Being great back then doesn't mean as much now. Back then there was no salary cap, making their domination much less impressive. If you can have a great franchise now, it means more imo. Canadiens are mediocre now and Wings 19 straight playoffs

Also, the Yankees don't count because they buy most of their championships/success.
    Official LWL Non-Keeper League - Shooting Scorgasms

C - Getzlaf, Backstrom, B. Richards, Henrique
    LW - Datsyuk (C), Marleau, (C), Clowe (RW), Malone
    RW - Sharp (C), Pominville, Alfredsson, Little (C)
    D - Chara, Wisniewski, Orpik, Beauchemin
    G - Niemi, Schneider, Theodore, Dubnyk

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Also, the Yankees don't count because they buy most of their championships/success.
    Well obviously!!! Oh and did you write anything else other than the quoted sentence?? All my screen showed was gibberish.
    Phoenix One league commissioner
    Phoenix Elite (starting 2014-2015) Organizer

both LWL LEAGUE G A +/- PIM PPP SHP HIT Block FOW SOG W GAA SV% SHO SVs

Untouchables .. Flubbers Thugs - Quick Miller Subban S. Weber Seabrook Dillon Giordano Wideman C- Plekanac Turris Stasny Bonino. LW- E kane Kesler J. Staal Vermette RW- Simmonds Johansen Neale neil ( Henrique , Killorn)

Phoenix .. Holtby Anderson Harding ( Talbot McElhinney) Crosby Duchene Hanzal Ribeiro Johansson Koivu Silfverberg B Schenn Pavelski Lucic Simmonds neil Subban McDonagh Hjaalmarsson Orpick Lovejoy Hamhuis

Brawlers G,A,+, PIM PPP Blocks SOG HIT, W SV, GAA SV% SHO
    Keep 12. Anderson Backstrom Miller Weber Subban Byfuglien Chara Orpick Hjalmarsson Vlasic ( Grossman, Lovejoy) Turris koivu Hanzal Hodgson Johansen ( Cogliano ) Ott Landeskog Vermette Lucic Marcarthur Callahan Simmonds Marchand Doan Dupuis Neil

Hitmen G A +/- PIM PPP SHP HITS, W, GS SV% GAA SHO
    Keep 5 Lehtonen Schneider Holtby (Harding IR ) Couture Getzlaf Bonino Fisher Ott Pavelski Brassard ( Z smith) Callahan Gallagher Simmonds Ward Neal Nugent-Hopkins Saad OEL Gudas Giordano Hjalmarsson Franson Carle Zidlicky Girardi

Since, you missed it I'll sum it up. Habs suck with the salary cap, while the wings destroy with it.
    Official LWL Non-Keeper League - Shooting Scorgasms

C - Getzlaf, Backstrom, B. Richards, Henrique
    LW - Datsyuk (C), Marleau, (C), Clowe (RW), Malone
    RW - Sharp (C), Pominville, Alfredsson, Little (C)
    D - Chara, Wisniewski, Orpik, Beauchemin
    G - Niemi, Schneider, Theodore, Dubnyk