Thread: Michael Leighton

Michael Leighton

So, what is up with Michael Leighton of the Flyers? I know they are deep in goal, but doesn't he have any value to some team in the NHL? Com'on, this guy was one win from becoming a cup winning Goalie.

The Flyers put him on waivers recently, and he cleared. No team has interest in him at this point, so he'll be in the minors.

Has he really dropped that far since his back surgery put him on the shelf? Or is it the Flyers are so deep and they don't want take a chance on anyone else finding success in his services? I was shocked that no one picked him up off the waver wire at the end of last year, but now, I am really bewildered why there is like no interest in him. Is he still rehabbing from the surgery or something?

You've got to remember that he is a career AHL goaltender. The most games he's played in a single regular season is 34. He played incredibly well for the Flyers in 2009-2010, but that was a fluke. He has issues with injuries, and he's just not proven as a #1 goaltender. Leighton went down before the Flyers even started last season. If it hadn't been for Bobrovsky, the Flyers would have been in big trouble. When you've got guys like Turco and Emery remaining unsigned throughout the offseason, there's no chance Leighton gets picked up.

Leighton

Wow! Never thought about it like that. I never really followed him before 2009 or the AHL (not much info in the hockey mecca that is the Great Northwest). Thanks for your insight though. I still have a hard time digesting someone so close to gaining greatness and then falling out of favor so fast. However, I guess that is why you are where you are and I am just a truck driver. LOL!