Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Keith's elbow on Sedin

  1. #1
    4th Liner Cowtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    437

    Keith's elbow on Sedin

    In the first place I'm a 'Hawks fan, have been since Hull, Mikita and Pilote.

    If the officials had gotten Sedin's elbow/shoulder to Keith a little earlier, it's a lot less likely that the Keith retaliation would have occurred. The hit Keith put on Sedin was no worse what Sedin did to him.

    I was immediately reminded of Raffi Torres' atrocious run at Brent Seabrook in last year's playoffs. Torres should have been gone for at least 5 min, and also +5 games, instead received only a 2 minute penalty for boarding.

    It seems the league won't really police this kind of crap, leaving it up to the players to stand up for themselves. Instead, they wring their hands and speculate about tangential issues like no-touch icing and restoring the red line, while the real problem is right in front of them. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, I guess.
    "Hey hey, my my, rock and roll can never die."

  2. #2
    4th Liner jomo666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Center Ice
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
    In the first place I'm a 'Hawks fan, have been since Hull, Mikita and Pilote.

    If the officials had gotten Sedin's elbow/shoulder to Keith a little earlier, it's a lot less likely that the Keith retaliation would have occurred. The hit Keith put on Sedin was no worse what Sedin did to him.

    I was immediately reminded of Raffi Torres' atrocious run at Brent Seabrook in last year's playoffs. Torres should have been gone for at least 5 min, and also +5 games, instead received only a 2 minute penalty for boarding.

    It seems the league won't really police this kind of crap, leaving it up to the players to stand up for themselves. Instead, they wring their hands and speculate about tangential issues like no-touch icing and restoring the red line, while the real problem is right in front of them. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, I guess.
    It also doesn't help when the one-eyed man is on a one-man panel.

    12 Tm 1 Yr ESPN H2H
    G A +/- PIM PPG SHG HAT HIT // W SV GA SO
    F: Backes Couture Giroux Neal M. Martin Eager Cole Clutterbuck Setoguchi Hanzal D. Brown Lecavalier
    D: Byfuglien S. Weber M. Weber Bogosian Fistric
    G: Lundqvist Ward Pavelec
    ---
    12 Tm 1 Yr ESPN H2H
    G A PIM PPP SHP BLK // W SV GA SO
    F: Datsyuk Backes Kane Neal Vanek Gaborik Kunitz Hornqvist Glencross Hudler O'Reilly van Riemsdyk
    D: Bieksa Hamhuis Bouwmeester Visnovsky Beauchemin Bogosian
    G: Rinne Lehtonen Hiller
    IR: Enstrom

  3. #3
    Keith gets five games.

    http://www.leftwinglock.com/news/
    Last edited by Mike; 03-23-2012 at 05:05 PM.

  4. #4
    2nd Liner Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,966
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ75H7gS0hc

    I would really like to see a video of the Sedin elbow on Keith.
    Official LWL Non-Keeper League - Shooting Scorgasms

    C - Getzlaf, Backstrom, B. Richards, Henrique
    LW - Datsyuk (C), Marleau, (C), Clowe (RW), Malone
    RW - Sharp (C), Pominville, Alfredsson, Little (C)
    D - Chara, Wisniewski, Orpik, Beauchemin
    G - Niemi, Schneider, Theodore, Dubnyk

  5. #5
    2nd Liner Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Keith gets five games.

    http://www.leftwinglock.com/news/
    That's ridiculous. Suspending players for only five games for crap like that isn't nearly enough.
    Official LWL Non-Keeper League - Shooting Scorgasms

    C - Getzlaf, Backstrom, B. Richards, Henrique
    LW - Datsyuk (C), Marleau, (C), Clowe (RW), Malone
    RW - Sharp (C), Pominville, Alfredsson, Little (C)
    D - Chara, Wisniewski, Orpik, Beauchemin
    G - Niemi, Schneider, Theodore, Dubnyk

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
    If the officials had gotten Sedin's elbow/shoulder to Keith a little earlier, it's a lot less likely that the Keith retaliation would have occurred. The hit Keith put on Sedin was no worse what Sedin did to him.
    Sedin's hit was a follow through (his elbow was down the entire time) compared to a direct elbow to the head by Keith, there's no comparison.

    Here's the Sedin hit, skip to 0.52s

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STPxGKRAq-A
    Last edited by Lex216; 03-24-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    10 Teams Yahoo H2H
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, BLK, HIT, FW, FL
    W, L, GAA, GA, SV, SV%, SHO

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    That's ridiculous. Suspending players for only five games for crap like that isn't nearly enough.
    I agree, maybe they should implement a new rule, something my winter league did to one of my teammates; suspended him until the injured player was able to play again. The NHL should do the same plus an additional 5 games.
    Last edited by Lex216; 03-24-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    10 Teams Yahoo H2H
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, BLK, HIT, FW, FL
    W, L, GAA, GA, SV, SV%, SHO

  8. #8
    2nd Liner Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex216 View Post
    I agree, maybe they should implement a new rule, something my winter league did to one of my teammates; suspended him until the injured player was able to play again. The NHL should do the same plus an additional 5 games.
    See that just wouldn't work. There's too many variables. Hitting somebody like Hemsky who has a much greater chance of being injured and missing more games would result in a different suspension than hitting a player who just gets up and okay. Plus if Keith had hit a less important player on the Canucks like Ballard for example there's no way Vancouver doesn't at least think about extending his injury time just so Keith couldn't play. (I'm not picking on Vancouver just using them as an example) That isn't fair at all. If you ask me they should just make all hits to the head a ten game suspension AT VERY LEAST. If they really want to get rid of these hits to the head they need to increase the suspension time by at least double imo. I guarantee these hits will stop as soon as somebody like Carcillo hits a guy in the head and gets a 40 game suspension.

    Also I found a video of the Sedin hit on Keith. I'm not saying it was clean by any means but the Keith hit was far worse imo.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3r9769DFOQ
    Last edited by Tim; 03-24-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    Official LWL Non-Keeper League - Shooting Scorgasms

    C - Getzlaf, Backstrom, B. Richards, Henrique
    LW - Datsyuk (C), Marleau, (C), Clowe (RW), Malone
    RW - Sharp (C), Pominville, Alfredsson, Little (C)
    D - Chara, Wisniewski, Orpik, Beauchemin
    G - Niemi, Schneider, Theodore, Dubnyk

  9. #9
    2nd Liner NightParade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Windsor, Canada (Detroit junior!)
    Posts
    1,585
    I'm okay with an eye for an eye justice, but if Sedin took an eye Keith took both eyes, and ear, a hand and his lips. The retaliation was hardly justice. I can't stand seeing stuff like that go on. What ever happened to sportsmanship.
    Yahoo 12 team H2H: C, C, L, L, R, R, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR

    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, S%, SO

    C: Eric Staal, Mike Ribeiro, David Backes (RW)(??)
    LW: Evander Kane, Steve Ott (C), Shane Doan (RW)(IR)
    RW: Joe Pavelski (C), Brendan Gallagher
    D: Dustin Byfuglien (RW), Kevin Shattenkirk, Kris Letang(IR), Roman Josi, Alex Goligoski
    G: Jonathan Quick(IR), Jaroslav Halak, Josh Harding
    IR: Ryan Callahan, James Wisniewski

  10. #10
    4th Liner Cowtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex216 View Post
    Sedin's hit was a follow through (his elbow was down the entire time) compared to a direct elbow to the head by Keith, there's no comparison.
    Sedin's hit on Keith was a blow to the head, period. It doesn't matter what else you try to call it. And if the officials make the correct call there, the retaliation does not happen (IMHO), and we have no suspension, and no more bad blood than before. And for all the NHL's huff and puff about head shots, they're hypocrites for dealing with one and not the other. It just supports even further my position that there's one rule for Vancouver, and another for the rest of the league.
    Last edited by Cowtown; 03-25-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    "Hey hey, my my, rock and roll can never die."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •